Monday, May 16, 2005

Ride into work for Monday, 16 May

Had a weird feeling in the first couple of km or so that the bike was slowing down, as if the rear brakes were coming on. I stopped a couple of times and took a look but couldn't find anything obvious; the tyre was a bit close to the stay on the left hand side, which might be it. It stopped after a couple of km, so I guess it must have been something just settling in.

Got hit by a car again, I seem to be making a habit of this. I was going uphill over a railway bridge at around 35km/hr, and had a car pass so close that I either got nudged by his bumper or mirror, or his slipstream threw me off-balance, causing me to swerve and hit his car (with my fist) so I wouldn't go under his wheels. The driver's response was to squeal his brakes to a stop in front of me, forcing me to swerve around him, and then (as I was passing) shout at me, "Stop! Stop right there! You don't hit my car!" I carried on to the lights after the hill and he stopped behind me and got out, and we had this amazingly intelligent conversation:

"Why did you hit my car? You don't hit my car!"
It was that or go under your wheels, do you realise you hit me?
"That's no excuse for hitting my cars, I may have cut you off but that doesn't give you an excuse to hit my car!"
If you didn't hit me I wouldn't have gone off-balance and wouldn't have needed to balance myself off your car.
"You should pay more attention to where you're going!"

At this point the lights changed and I really didn't feel like talking to this guy, so I set off. His parting shot was "and you should be on the sidewalk anyway". Realistically I should have called the police, since he admitted to driving without due care and attention. Maybe next time.

Distance logged: 11.721km
Time: 33:49
Average speed: 20.8km/hr
Temperature: 4C, overcast, damp
Cumulative distance: 2047.411km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home