Friday, September 08, 2006

Ride into work for Friday, 8 September

Bit of a slow ride in with my touring bike, which was relatively heavily loaded with lots of cooler weather gear in my panniers to give me choices for the ride tonight. I also loaded up on lights; I have my 10W and 5W SLA powered lights with my 10W Digital Emitter I bought yesterday, plus the vital LED flasher for emergency use. I think I should be fairly visible on the roads tonight...

Distance logged: 12.673km
Time: 34:31
Average speed: 22km/hr
Max speed: 56.4 km/hr
Temperature: 15C, clear
Cumulative distance: 5445.448km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.42
Monthly distance: 164.159km
Monthly cost per km: $-20.25

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you like the digital emitter?

I generally don't like to bike at dark (poor night vision) so I'm always interested in hearing about other light options. I use a planet bike 1W LED light as a 'be seen' light and it does okay, but it certainly doesn't do much to light the road or path.

I've been looking into getting a wheel with a hub generator, but the really good ones (Schmidt) are spendy. I guess the good thing is that you don't need batteries.

Friday, September 08, 2006 2:23:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I'm liking it so far, but I've yet to really use it in earnest. The deal closer for me on the Digital Emitter (and the reason I sprung an extra $20 on it over the straight Emitter) was (a) its ability to run at different loads on the battery from 10% through to 100%, and (b) the ability to run off two AA batteries in a pinch instead of needing a full complement of 4 batteries. They also explicitly recommend rechargeable alkaline batteries as the best source.

It's LED based, so it draws way less power. The default lamps with generator hubs are, I believe, HID or similar, so they're not as bright; they need an upgrade to go LED so that's an additional cost.

Since I have 3 bikes, it's easier to swap the lights I have between the bikes than it would be if I used generators... And generator hubs for all three bikes would be horribly expensive!

Friday, September 08, 2006 2:36:00 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Glad your feeling better. It's dark here now and I am looking into a better light. I have mainly been using them to be noticed by vehicles, but now, I need to see where I'm going! I dont' have much experience riding in the dark. Summers here have 24 hrs of daylight. We are loosing over a half hour of daylight per week now.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 2:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home