Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ride home for Tuesday, 22 April

Over to Dartmouth for a meeting of the HRM Bike Map committee. There was much discussion over routing, and there was an interesting comment from the transportation engineer that he considered every road to be a bike route - I certainly couldn't argue with that! There was an agreement that the map needed to be updated, with some routes changing their primary/secondary designations, some being removed, and a concerted effort being made to connect up dangling, unconnected routes. As such, if any of my readers in HRM have any comments on the bike map for changes to make, or routes to add, let me know!

Great ride home in some relatively warm weather. Lots of cyclists around too, which was no great surprise. What was a surprise was the sudden predilection for full face helmets; I can understand mountain bikers wearing them on the way to trails, and there's an older chap that wears one in winter to (presumably) ward off the wind chill, but I can't help thinking for regular road riding they'd be awfully hot and cumbersome...

Distance logged: 22.037km
Time: 66:33
Average speed: 19.9km/hr
Max speed: 47.4 km/hr
Temperature: 18C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 2350.723km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.07
Monthly distance: 500.531km
Monthly cost per km: $0

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

This is completely selfish on my part and may not even be applicable to the bike map, but on my route to work I take Main Ave in Fairview and take the bus only junction on to the Fairview overpass on my way into the peninsula. I would like to see if the bus only junction can be made "bus and bike" only. Then perhaps Main Ave - Fairview Overpass - Kempt Rd. can be designated another primary route into the city?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:54:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

Eric, that's exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for! I'll add it on to the list and see if I can't get that going for you. Let me know if there's anything else you can think of!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:00:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home