Monday, August 15, 2005

Ride for Saturday, 13 August

Day one of the MS150 ride. Started out early and rode over to Musquodoboit Harbour. It was a bit further than I thought, so I ended up being about half an hour late. No big problem, as things were slow starting anyway. I signed in and got my t-shirt and bike jersey, packed stuff from my panniers into my backpack and got that sent off to Truro. I set off and immediately hit the rain. I put on my knee warmers and stuck it out, as I figured putting rain pants on would just make me sweat more anyway. I was on my own for the first 10km or so until I started coming to more riders; as a friend of mine would say, Team Numpty was out in full force. Some things I remember:

* Two cyclists riding side by side being overtaken by another two cyclists side by side, with a car coming the other way.
* Coming up to a set of railway tracks, a volunteer leapt out in front of me waving his arms and shouted "look out for the railway tracks!"; I had to swerve around him and hit the tracks at an angle, thus making them more dangerous.
* Riders swerving from side to side on the road, not to avoid anything but just to have fun. Naturally, they didn't look behind or pay any real attention to what they were doing.

The ride itself took around 3 hours or so. Since I left late, the faster riders were all way ahead, and I was stuck running past all the slower riders on toy bikes.

Blogger breaking map:


Distance logged: 153.57km
Time: 5:56:04
Average speed: 25.9km/hr
Max speed: 67.0km/hr
Temperature: 15C-17C, rainy
Cumulative distance: 4172.870km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home