Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ride home for Thursday, 22 December

The new sales manager at work left at the same time as me and was mentioning how she'd be happy to give me a ride into work (she lives fairly close to me). I said I'd rather bike, and she started on about how "sometimes bicycles shouldn't be on the streets for their own safety", and "sometimes it's not safe to ride a bike because of the weather conditions". I told her about some of the conditions I've ridden in where cars have been spinning off the road, but I don't think she really grasped what I was talking about. I said I'd take her up on the offer if I ever had real problems, since she was just trying to be nice. She then mentioned how she could never ride my bike since it was way to big - since she's around a foot and a half shorter than me, that's rather to be expected!

Found out why my ride in was so slow yesterday... My rear brakes were jammed on, and wouldn't release. I stopped off at Idealbikes and Roger took a look. After blasting Releaseall and some compressed air through and not making any difference, he decided that the innards of the brake were completely gunked up and quite possibly corroded, and gave me the option of either trying to clean them up, or put another pair on for $15. I figured a new pair would be the best bet in the long run, and Roger popped them on for me. We had a look over the rest of the bike, it looks like my rear derailleur is wearing out (the jockey wheels now have spikes), and the rim is starting to wear out - not enough to wear through the wear line, but it's something to keep an eye on, though I should be able to make it through the rest of the season.

I officially hit 7000km for the year on this ride, too, although I actually hit it several days ago - I don't take the bike computer when I'm just doing utility runs to the store and what not.

Distance logged: 14.514km
Time: 48:29
Average speed: 18km/hr
Max speed: 44 km/hr
Temperature: -10C
Cumulative distance: 7012.882km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.23
Monthly distance: 470.048km
Monthly cost per km: $0.20

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home