Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ride home for Friday, 04 August

Rather predictably, the servers failed to work properly; I couldn't get a machine to join the domain. The client ended up getting SHOUTY WINDOWS CONSULTANT to come over; he found several things that were hosed due to (as far as I could tell) the smbldap upgrade trashing the ldap configuration - there were two SIDs defined in there, for example. SWC was also not overly clued on Unix; for those who know what I'm talking about, watching someone type in something like
cat file | tail -n 50 | more
shows right away how shallow the knowledge is. After about 3 hours of fighting with the system, he finally got it up and running. The client agreed that 4:30 on a Friday afternoon before he and I went off on vacation for a week was not a good time to do an install, so the machines are both running in the office burning in (and since they're Dell machines, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I went back off vacation and found they'd gone pop...)

The ride home wasn't too stellar; it was raining the whole way, so I got pretty soaked. I took the short route home, but made a detour to the liquor store to pick up some wine - those packages fit perfectly in the netting on the outside of my backpack.

Distance logged: 12.126km
Time: 32:16
Average speed: 22.6km/hr
Max speed: 53.3 km/hr
Temperature: 16C, raining
Cumulative distance: 4648.436km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.44
Monthly distance: 149.911km
Monthly cost per km: $0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home