Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ride home for Wednesday, 29 November

Today I witnessed an evolution in drivers in Halifax. I realise this is a weighty statement, but there's really no other way to put it. I was riding on Watt Street coming up to turn left on Vernon Street and saw a car on the other side of Watt Street approaching Vernon and not signalling, obviously going straight across. I stopped, signalling, waiting for a few seconds for the other driver to go, with a suspicion that it was going to end up with the driver waving me on from inside the car, where of course I couldn't see any hand signals at all due to the headlights. I was then surprised when the driver dipped the lights to signal me to go! This was the first time any driver in Halifax has realised that I can't necessarily see inside them and, having been bitten before, I'm more inclined to wait it out if I don't have right of way rather than gamble on racing against another vehicle. I can only hope this trend spreads to more drivers in Halifax - it's the done thing in the UK to signal to any other vehicle to go ahead, and it's an unmistakable signal that really can't be confused for anything else.

The ride otherwise was damp and, despite not having as many layers on as I did this morning, I still managed to overheat slightly.

Distance logged: 18.550km
Time: 56:33
Average speed: 19.7km/hr
Max speed: 45 km/hr
Temperature: 2C, raining
Cumulative distance: 7590.560km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.39
Monthly distance: 724.323km
Monthly cost per km: $0.43

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! The Drivers of Halifax must be reading your blog and, tired of being called Muppets, have decided to start behaving as you have decreed.

Friday, December 01, 2006 7:25:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

I don't think I'm quite that famous! I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it as someone from the UK, as there's a pretty large Brit population here in Halifax. I guess I'll never know for sure, though...

Friday, December 01, 2006 10:43:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home