Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ride home for Tuesday, 09 January

Went into MEC at lunch and picked up my new bike light that just came in. There was a demonstration going on outside Province House that appeared to be farmers complaining about (I think) lack of subsidies. The number of police there was overkill; I walked past two vans parked a block away that I counted 8 uniformed officers apiece in, then there were another 8 either side of Province House - including two bike police, I'm not sure what the idea there was! I also saw police patrolling for a 3 block radius on foot, and multiple police cars. Considering th crowd was mostly made of late middle-aged to elderly farmers and young families and children (with most people wearing wellies and similar farm gear) I don't think such a show of force was really required...

Managed to fit the AL-X light on my spacesaver bar with the two other lights, so I now have a total of 4 lights on the front plus two blinkies for a total of around 30 watts of light (or equivalence thereof). It definitely helped on the fire trail, I could see for quite a ways in front of me.

Muppet of the day was the driver who decided to accelerate and change lanes as I was crossing the crosswalk, only to come screaming to a halt as I stood with my bike in front of me waiting for her to stop. As I walked across, she wound down her window and said "oh, I'm so sorry for scaring you half to death there!" She didn't quite seem to know how to handle my response of "no you're not" that I threw over my shoulder as I carried on walking.

Got home just before it started snowing, too...

Distance logged: 15.339km
Time: 53:18
Average speed: 17.3km/hr
Max speed: 41.9 km/hr
Temperature: 5C-3C
Cumulative distance: 198.232km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.13
Monthly distance: 198.232km
Monthly cost per km: $0.13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home