Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ride home for Tuesday, 28 August

Found a new trail on the way home, which is in the running for "pointless trail creation"; instead of continuing along the Mainland North Linear Parkway and turning left partway along to go to the sports field, I can now instead take a trail that meanders back and forth to... the sports field. It's not an unofficial trail either, someone has put quite some work into it creating the path from chipped wood, building proper wooden bridges, and digging in pipes to run streams under the trail.

Something I've also noticed is how paranoid drivers are at the crossing on Lacewood; whereas before I've been used to having to hold my bike out in traffic to get cars to stop, vehicles are now slowing down and stopping before I even have a chance to press the walk button. I have no explanation for this, but it certainly makes a pleasant change...

Distance logged: 9.221km
Time: 33:10
Average speed: 16.7km/hr
Max speed: 55.6 km/hr
Temperature: 26C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 3060.276km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.27
Monthly distance: 328.051km
Monthly cost per km: $0

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i found that trail one day on my ride to work. how useless it is. i'm sure it's a nice walk but oh how pointless! looks nice though.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:48:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Looking at it in Google Maps I have a suspicion it might be an unofficial mountain bike trail that got legitimised. There were a bunch of other spurs off the trail that I didn't feel like following on 700x28 tyres that are probably all that remains of the trail for the "real" riders...

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just found your blog today through google, nice site. I think drivers are starting to slow down on lacewood because of that accident a few months ago where the old man was hit by the speeding teens, I could be wrong though.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:59:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home