Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Ride home for Tuesday, 26 April

Decided to leave work early (using up some TOIL) and go for a ride, as it was a really nice day out. I went out to Bedford and back, and hit some arrant stupidity from a driver. Coming up to a set of traffic lights, left two lanes going straight and right lane turning right into a supermarket, I noticed a minivan behind me that triggered off my "driver about to do something stupid" alert. I positioned myself into the right hand of the middle lane and was not surprised to have the minivan lean on the horn. I waved at them in my usual "you must be a friend of mine beeping at me!" fashion, and they continued on, stopping at the next set of lights in the middle lane. As I stopped in the right hand lane (still going straight - this is a two lane road) I had the following bizarre conversation with the passenger:

"You should smarten up, you shouldn't ride your bike like that, you're going to get killed!"
What do you mean?
"Zig-zagging all over the road, I nearly hit you!" (remember, this is the passenger talking)
I was going straight through in a straight line following the rules of the road, what are you talking about?
"How am I supposed to know which way you're going? Smarten up!"
How am I supposed to signal to go straight ahead?
"Yeah,you should signal!"
Yes, how should I signal to go straight ahead?
"Signal, eh? Smarten up, or you'll get killed!"

At this point the light changed and the driver set off. Both the driver and the passenger looked to be around 60 or so. Most odd.

Also, I picked up the cheap $20 panniers from Canadian Tyre, just to see what it's like. I'm not convinced by the strapping, it's relying on a rather fragile looking buckle to thread through to hold on. I've added some cable ties to the front and back and threaded bungee cords through to give it a bit more hold, but I think I'll be investigating something a little more solid to attach it onto the rack with.

Distance logged: 38.704km
Time: 1:36:47
Average speed: 24.0km/hr
Max speed: 55.1km/hr
Temperature: 15-13C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 1666.778km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home