Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ride for Saturday, 05 August

Went to true the wheel on my Nishiki and found that a couple of the nipples had got stripped. Managed to get one of them out and replaced, but the other one was completely ruined - it just got more and more rounded as I tried to take it off. I realised I'd have to cut the spoke, and of course, it's a drive side spoke, which means taking off the cassette to replace it. I had to go down town this weekend anyway to do a tape rotation at the office since Monday's a holiday, so I went down, dropped my bike off at the office, and went to MEC and picked up a chain whip and cassette removal tool. While I was there I got some replacement rim tape for the hybrid (since it was looking a bit skanky), some more sunscreen, and a few Clif bars. I stopped off at IdealBikes to take pictures of bikes, too, for something more relaxing to do for the afternoon. Dave was good enough to give me some replacement spokes afterwards, so I now have spokes for the front wheel and offside rear (they're the same size), and driveside rear. I headed back to the office, picked up my bike, then rode home and dropped all my stuff off and headed over to the farmer's market to pick up some vegetables. On the way back I stopped off at a co-worker's house to give him the pager, since I'm on vacation. The result of this is all the riding I did today was for work so I can claim it back on expenses!

Distance logged: 28.497km
Time: 85:08
Average speed: 20.1km/hr
Max speed: 55.6 km/hr
Temperature: 23C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 4676.933km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.45
Monthly distance: 178.408km
Monthly cost per km: $0.33

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, could you help me, I just got a hybrid and the tires suck, they are 35 knobbies, how thin a tire can i get on these hybrid rims? Any suggestions what MEC has? Will a normal road tire like 700x28 work? Thanks

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:35:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Depends on what sort of rim it is, but unless it's excessively large pretty much anything should be fine. You should be able to get 28 tyres on OK; I had some random (Kenda? IRC?) 35 tyres on my DA22 rims and replaced them with Continental Ultra Sport 28's from MEC without a problem. The only issue I've had is getting the tubes to fit - I only have 32-38 tubes so I have to be careful jamming the tube in so I don't get a pinch flat. The advantage of the larger tubes is they're slightly more puncture resistant, as the rubber doesn't stretch as much.

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:49:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home