Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ride home for Wednesday, 31 January

Rode around the places I rode this morning that got missed due to flat batteries in the GPS. After all that, the batteries in the PDA extender went flat, so the Treo didn't actually log anything in the end. I've dug out some rechargeable batteries that run at 1.25V (instead of the usual 1.2V); I'm hoping that'll be enough extra boost the make it run (since the battery pack seems to prefer regular non-rechargeable batteries that run at 1.5V).

Had an interesting conversation while I was on site with a woman from Ireland. We were talking about differences between Nova Scotia and Europe, and something she pointed out was that people here are significantly less hardy when it comes to indoor temperatures than in Europe. She keeps her thermostat set to 17C (as do I), which she finds just right, and is around the temperature people keep their houses set to in the UK, from what I recall. Visiting other peoples' houses here in Nova Scotia tends to be like walking into a wall of heat, as the temperatures are quite often at least 25C! Of course, people are wandering around inside in T-shirts because it's so warm, when they could quite easily drop the heat and put on a sweater - and they wouldn't be complaining so much about the price of heating oil!

Distance logged: 20.343km
Time: 77:30
Average speed: 15.7km/hr
Max speed: 37.8 km/hr
Temperature: -8C to -9C
Cumulative distance: 623.253km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.22
Monthly distance: 623.253km
Monthly cost per km: $0.22

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up, I wish my father had kept the heat on a little higher during the winter. He would tell me to put on a sweater and that it was cheaper to do that then spend the money on oil. I used to tease him that I could see my breath inside (which I couldn't).

These days I have to live in Florida (you have no idea how much I miss NS!) and the opposite is true, the hotter it is outside, the colder it is inside. The air conditioning use is out of control! I am outside in a skirt and short-sleeves but as soon as I go inside anywhere I need a sweater and hot drink. I'd love to know how much money would be saved if they just turned the A/C down just a couple of degrees, and I'm talking degrees farenheit, not celcius!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:53:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I'm down in the basement where I have control over the temperature, and right now it's 10C, which is just about right for me!

I can sympathise with you about the temperature differential, though - I don't know how more people aren't made sick from being forced to go through such a massive temperature cool/heat cycle. It doesn't get all that hot here in NS, but even so I try to avoid AC - once I'm used to the heat I don't want my body getting used to anything else. As a result, I don't find it all that hot when other people are wandering around complaining about the heat - and conversely, I don't find the cold all that cold!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 9:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home