Friday, January 26, 2007

Critical mass ride for Friday, 26 January

Went into MEC at lunch and picked up some Tenacious Tape to repair my rain pants - I figure it's better to try to repair them than to throw out $55 on another pair. While I was there I picked up a pair of pannier covers and (to satisfy my lust for flashing LEDs) a set of Tiresparx.

Critical Mass ride was a bit earlier this month at 5pm. Peter explained that this was for safety reasons more than anything else - where it was at 6pm last month it was too dark and some motorists weren't paying attention well enough - plus at 5pm with more traffic on the roads the traffic would be slower, and hence safer. He also mentioned that the police chief in New York who had been the driving force behind persecuting Critical Mass there retired yesterday, which can only be a good thing...

10 people showed up in total. Peter's secret plan was to call the ride off and go down the pub if the numbers didn't hit double digits, so we just made it. There was no planned route, just the one in front leading the way. I tried to make a break for the bridge but for some reason no-one else wanted to risk the wind there, so we took a ride around Gottingen, which was handy for me as I managed to get a few streets I haven't mapped yet. We ended up going across the Commons and on to Quinpool, where the ride broke up; most people who lived downtown headed off to the pub, I opted to head home following a couple of others. They headed off up Connaught, which I continued on down Quinpool across the rotary onto Joseph Howe as I wanted to map out some more residential roads around that area. Heading up Central I saw two cyclists up ahead, and it was the same two! We rode up to Main where we lost one, and I rode with the other and showed her the fire trail as a short cut - she'd been riding on Lacewood, which isn't always the most enjoyable route...

Pretty short ride all in all, and I imagine next month's will be about the same, but things should start warming up after that!

Distance logged: 16.298km
Time: 67:23
Average speed: 14.5km/hr
Max speed: 46.1 km/hr
Temperature: -16C, -29C wind chill, clear
Cumulative distance: 500.629km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.27
Monthly distance: 500.629km
Monthly cost per km: $0.27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home