Tuesday, May 15, 2007

More accident info

Last week two police constables came round to take my statement. I have a suspicion nothing much is going to come of it since it involved a bicycle. I could be proved wrong however. In any case it's good to get this documented for future reference.

On Friday I went in to have my dressings changed, and have the shoulder checked out to see how I was doing. I had an x-ray done, which showed the bone was healing well. I also took some pictures while still I was there. Unfortunately none of them came out very well with any one of them being of any use. If you want to take a look at it you can click here but be warned it's rather gory.

This morning the insurance adjuster came out to see me. She was somewhat surprised the other driver had not already contacted them. Apparently I was the first person to contact them about this accident, the driver is supposed to contact the insurance. The adjuster said that I was considered to be the same as a pedestrian, ie a vulnerable road user, and it was a driver's responsibility to take care around me. I told her what happened, and she took a witness statement from me. She is going to e-mail it to me so I can check it out and then send it back to her. She said (without prejudice) that it looked like a pretty open and shut case to her. The next step is to talk to a medical adjustors tomorrow. I don't think there's much going to be coming out of this as haven't got any real medical expenses yet. The insurance adjuster also went over the $2500 cap that applied if any injury lasted less than a year.

This week I get to have my dressings changed, and then next week I get the pins taken out. I'll then to get to get into physio and I'll get tested to find out what the range of motion of my arm like after having been in a sling for so long. With any luck I should get full reuse of my arm.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you do get full use of that shoulder again, of course, and full financial restitution.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:40:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on getting full motion back and here's to hoping a quicker than expected recovery!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:04:00 am  
Blogger Doug said...

Hey Steve!

I was thinking about you on the commute to work this morning. Yeah, its wet and cold out there.

First things first, glad to hear you are on the mend and get well soon. Thanks for the update.

Secondly, with the number of pedestrian / dangerous driving accidents lately it might be worth it to put some pressure on the crown/police to do _something_ about this. Do you want something done about this? Do you think the driver should be criminally changed?

I was reading in the paper that that jackass dangerous driver on Lacewood is now a flight-risk and may avoid charges.

Feel free to email me privately if you want to follow-up. I have a friend who has lots of experience with the media. Maybe we can get your story in the paper. That photo says a couple thousand words at least!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:28:00 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yuck, You warned me but I looked anyway. :)

Not much medical expenses yet??? Your socialized medical system is very different different than here, emergency and surgery here would probably be around the ten thousand mark.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jee-suz, Steve. i finally looked at that pic. nasty. hope you're feeling ok.

Critical Mass will miss you. No doubt you will be a main topic of conversation. We should dedicate the ride to you and the plight of cyclists everywhere injured by vehicles.

hey, we might be bringing the pedicabs to the ride tomorrow - if you want to you can come along as a passenger! i know that's not the way you roll, but the offer stands.

take care,
PTR

Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:59:00 am  
Blogger Kayte said...

Hey Mr. Steve,

I too, despite the gore warning, looked at the photo you posted. Ooer :(

Hope you're on the mend and doing well, take care!

- Kayte.

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:55:00 pm  
Blogger Tuco said...

Good luck man - health and insurance-wise.

Friday, May 25, 2007 1:01:00 pm  
Blogger Timo said...

Hello Steve,
I went on my first group ride yesterday of Critical Mass proportions. Sorry you couldn't make it. I took a number of pictures and was wondering if you knew where I could post them??? Email L_esperance_tim@hotmail.com. Hope your feeling better... I once woke up in the hospital with a broken femur due to similar circumtances... know what your going through! Best, Tim

Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:55:00 pm  
Blogger Jerome said...

Hey Steve. How are you doing? Haven't heard from you for a while and sure do hope that your recovery is going well. Let us know. Peace.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 2:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home