Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ride home for Tuesday, 27 May

Had my first encounter with a muppet in a while today. As I was riding along Preston Street a car approached out of Cedar, a side street with a stop sign. He stomped on his brakes as he approached the stop sign, then continued on for a few feet into the road before he noticed me and came to a full stop. I slammed on my brakes and rode slowly past, not trusting him to be paying attention, and the driver wafted his hands at me to hurry me up. Not being overly appreciative of being waved at I did the same to him, wafting my hand at him to imply he should stop where he was. It appeared I triggered a major reaction, as he sat there leaning on his horn for several seconds after I'd passed, then yelled out to me something like "beagle lar, bash hull!" - those more versed in semantic examination than myself may be able to hazard a more accurate guess at the actual words used...

Distance logged: 11.741km
Time: 38:51
Average speed: 18.1km/hr
Max speed: 38.5 km/hr
Temperature: 17C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 2917.623km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.1
Monthly distance: 502.714km
Monthly cost per km: $0.24

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a finally a new muppet story. I was beginning to think that things got better out on the streets. I know my fine commute to work (ideal bikes) each morn is without incident normally. There has been the occassional close call but meh... it's the cycling life. Are HCC tshirts gonna be sold at bike week events? if not wanna put a large aside and drop on by ideal for me? :) incase your confused... i'm the new guy there.. was at sport chek bayers lake, now ideal.

peace,

Paul

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:23:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I don't know if it's the massively increased number of cyclists on the road but I definitely seem to be having fewer muppet encounters... Not a bad thing for me but I'm guessing for the readers who are less than enamoured of my reeling off ride stats things just aren't so exciting any more!

You're the new guy at Ideal, eh? You should have mentioned it when I was there last week! The t-shirts will be available at bike week events HCC are involved with, or I could probably get the chairman to drop by with one for you - they're $12 apiece. If you want Jared to swing by, let me know if anyone else there wants shirts as well.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:45:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definately love one! Those are awesome tshirts. I'm not sure if others want some, but prob wouldn't hurt to bring a 2-3 if Jared can drop by.
I would have mentioned who I was but sometimes I'm quiet and not much for speaking up...
I do see several riders around these days... too bad they weren't all seasons and not just sunny day. But regardless it's great to see so many bikes out!
Ride stats are kewl, it's fun to compare who rides how much and for me I like the gas savings.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:57:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I dropped Jared an email asking him to swing by Ideal next time he's downtown with the Tshirt box - I think it might be as soon as tomorrow, since I know they're going to be on sale after Critical Mass at the afterparty.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home