Sunday, June 12, 2005

Ride for Thursday, 09 June

Today was the ride down to Oak Island for a conference. Set off around 9:30am, got there around 2pm. Broke a couple of spokes on the way down, I'm starting to think it's time for a new wheel. I've only put a 1000km or so on this wheel, but it is second hand, and looks fairly well used anyway. Additionally, I had my panniers pretty fully loaded with supplies, plus I was carrying 6 litres of water and gatorade, which probably didn't help.

Quite an enjoyable ride down, very little traffic on the roads and what traffic there was was very considerate - almost all drivers went into the other lane to pass me if they could. The exception was when I went through Chester, when suddenly it was like being back in Halifax with cars squeezing by closely - even though Chester is essentially just a small rural town, the big city attitudes seem to be in evidence, unfortunately.

Had a few comments from co-workers on cycling down, mostly positive. I think the oddest comments were, "did you cycle all the way down?" (well, it's not like I grew wings for part of the way and flew), and "how did you manage to cycle all the way?" (press down on the right-hand pedal with the right foot, then the left-hand pedal with the left foot; repeat).

As usual, I did a GPS map of the trip, too.

Distance logged: 82.638km
Time: 3:20:00
Average speed: 24.8km/hr
Max speed: 61.8km/hr
Temperature: 18C-22C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 2803.680km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home