Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ride home for Wednesday, 15 March

Windy ride home, but no snow. It ended up snowing fairly heavily for the first part of the morning, and I was worried I'd have to go pick up some knobby tyres, but it was pretty much all gone by midday, and the roads were dry by the time I headed home.

Muppet of the day was the woman who beeped repeatedly at me while I was taking the lane passing a line of parked cars. At the red light, she pulled up beside me and wound down her window, and we had the following conversation:

Me: "What were you beeping your horn at me for?"
Muppet: "You were in the middle of the road, I couldn't pass you, you should have been further to the right!"
Me: "Well, I was passing the parked cars, and I needed enough space to make sure I wouldn't get hit by a door if someone opened their door."
Muppet: "You had more than enough space! You were this far away from the cars, you had more than enough space!" - muppet moved her hands either side of the steering wheel, maybe three feet.
Me: "Riiiight. You might want to read the MVA some time".
Muppet: Some snarled response I didn't hear because I turned my head to watch the traffic light.

She continued muttering on, and was obviously irritated at me still because she revved her engine repeatedly behind me when she couldn't overtake me on the intersection because other cars had the temerity to want to wait for the road to clear before turning. She finally managed to overtake me, flooring the accelerator and beeping her horn all the while before stopping at the next red light 300 metres ahead.

Sometimes, I think some drivers get their license in a cereal packet.

Distance logged: 14.115km
Time: 44:006
Average speed: 19.2km/hr
Max speed: 45 km/hr
Temperature: 2C, windy
Cumulative distance: 1509.028km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.36
Monthly distance: 359.275km
Monthly cost per km: $0.3

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... cycling in Halifax!

I bet she is the same type of person that complains about the price of gas while she is sitting there revving her engine and flooring it to pass you.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:54:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

Yep, she certainly looked like the complaining type (and she revved her engine). Ironic, really, seeing as gas prices in Halifax jumped up 5 cents over the past couple of days, continuing their seasonal upward trend...

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home