Thursday, June 29, 2006

Another entry in the continuing saga of my accident

I went down to where the accident happened on Tuesday night to verify I got the positions and distances right before I rewrote my statement. While I was there, I stood for 18 cycles of traffic light changes, to catch ten situations where the traffic was in the same position as I was; a car in the left hand lane, and another car in the right hand lane going straight across. I found the following interesting results:


  • Every single car in the right hand lane was snug up to the left hand side of the lane

  • Every single car in the right hand lane ended up switching to the left hand lane after crossing the intersection

  • Two of the cars crossing into the left hand lane did so in an incredibly dangerous manner, and I'm surprised there aren't more accidents here



So, the applicable point here for my case is that every single car was snug up on the left hand side of the lane. I think perhaps a tangential point is that every driver who goes across is being impatient and wants to cut around the flow of traffic, apart from the very occasional driver who is looking to park at the parking meters, or turn into the driveway of the block of flats there.

This morning I met with the insurance adjuster to take photos of the damange to my bike and measure the handlebars on my bike (to check if it's feasible that the other driver hit my handlebars with his mirror (incidentally... does anyone out there know what the height of a 1999 Buick Le Sabre's mirror is off the ground, and how high it is?) Whilst we were talking after signing my statement, I went over the Google Maps snapshot I did, and the adjuster let slip that the driver admitted he was 2-3 feet from my right at the light. This means, of course, that he must have seen me, since there's no other reason he would have been so far over to the right. The adjuster clammed up after that, and I have a suspicion he didn't mean to say it, but I'm starting to think it's looking like the case is, with any luck, going to go in my favour...

Next step is to sign a medical release form so the insurer can get all my medical details from the doctor to get a list of medical costs, just as soon as it gets faxed over to me. I'm hoping this will get resolved fairly soon...

2 days till I can ride my bike again. Public transport is sucking hard. Why do people think the volume on their personal stereo has to be locked hard on 11? A little less perfume wouldn't go amiss, either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scout Seventeen said...

Yes, but just consider what the perfume is covering...

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:07:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

I was trying not to think about what the perfume was covering, scout ;-)

Fortunately, today's the last day I'll be on public transport. I'm allowed back on the bike from tomorrow, and next week I'm on vacation anyway (when I was supposed to be riding up to Cape Breton, grumble).

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:44:00 am  
Blogger Darren J said...

Did you figure out what the deal was with the police report? That sounded like it could cause you some serious headaches if it didn't get straightened out.

Friday, June 30, 2006 11:29:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home