Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ride for Thursday, 15 June

Rode into Bedford for a Dr's appointment. It wasn't too bad on the way in, just a light misting, but it started raining heavily on the way back due to post tropical storm Alberto. Traffic was backed up going up Hammonds Plains Road, and I found a gaggle of police standing under the bridge doing spot checks. One of them very wittily said, "hey, can I see your license plate on that thing?"; I smiled and nodded and carried on riding while he sniggered to himself. My bike computer conked out not long after this as it got flooded out from the rain; distance for the ride was calculated from Gmaps, and I guessed at the time.

After I got home I stripped off my bike, picked up the panniers and headed off to the grocery store, figuring I couldn't get any wetter anyway and I needed some groceries. I picked up 2 2 litre containers of milk, a 4 litre container of orange juice, a couple of bottles of salad dressing, a big tin of coffee (since it was on sale), a wedge of blue Stilton, mustard greens, two heads of lettuce, 10 sweet peppers, a small bag of habanero peppers, a couple of heads of brocolli, some Clif bars (never knew Sobeys sold Clif bars, but there you go), and a box of granola bars. At the checkout, as I filled my MEC panniers and MEC backpack with groceries while trying not to drip water from my MEC windbreaker, the checkout girl started talking about camping apropos of nothing, and said, "there's a store downtown with all kinds of neat camping stuff, I can't remember what it's called, I think it's just three letters... They've got all sorts of stuff there, you can even get a brownie mix to make brownies at camp, which doesn't seem to me to be what camping's all about, camping's about roughing it, not enjoying it!" I mentioned that she was probably talking about MEC, and she said, "oh... yeah! That's it!" - Sobeys obviously don't need to hire people with too much intelligence, but masochism seems to be a bonus!

Headed back home and made myself a nice big salad as a reward.

Distance logged: 42.668km
Time: 100:00
Average speed: 25.6km/hr
Max speed: 55.7 km/hr
Temperature: 12C-14C, heavy rain
Cumulative distance: 3447.037km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.47
Monthly distance: 332.389km
Monthly cost per km: $0.38

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home