Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ride for Monday, 14 August

I found some "local roads" in my back roads atlas, so I thought I'd give them a try. Setting out the wind was against me, so I decided to take the BLT trail, as that met up with the start of the road I was aiming for, the Hiking Trail Road. I had to cross Highway 103 to get there, which was interesting, but once I crossed overI found out why it was a local road; no tarmac, dirt roads, and sections where a car would have real difficulty traversing the road due to the number of rocks, stones and potholes on the road.

I got about 10km in and stopped for a bite to eat. I spotted a blueberry bush and harvested off a handful of big, ripe blueberries and ate them. Then I noticed another... and another... and another. I think I finally had somewhere between 15 and 20 hands full of blueberries, all freshly picked and ripened.

I continued on and found a hiking trail signposted with directions to take. I decided to head on and see how far I could go, unfortunately about a km after the park I found the road gated and marked as a private road owned by Bowater Mersey. Since the whole area is owned by Bowater Mersey and the public part is maintained by them for public benefit I couldn't complain too much, but it would have been nice to see how close I could get to Wolfville...

Distance logged: 71.755km
Time: 218:55
Average speed: 19.7km/hr
Max speed: 56.9 km/hr
Temperature: 20C-23C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 4896.394km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.43
Monthly distance: 397.869km
Monthly cost per km: $0.21

2 Comments:

Blogger Tuco said...

I wish there were great big blueberry bushes on my commuting route. It'd be fun to pull into the gym looking like one of the Little Rascals with blueberry goo all over my face!

Friday, August 18, 2006 1:20:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Well, this isn't my normal commuting route, this is out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere. About the best I can hope to harvest on my commute is a few computer parts on garbage day...!

Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home