Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Ride into work for Tuesday, 24 October

Muppet of the day was the driver of the minivan who tried to run me off the road. I was approaching the lights on Mumford Road just after the railway bridge when I saw out of the corner of my eye the front of a minivan about a foot away from me. As I came up to the lights the minivan drew up parallel to me, so I banged on the window to get the driver's attention. The passenger, a rather sketchy looking female with shoulder length blonde hair, mouthed something at me, then the driver swerved to the left, floored it through the lights, screeched on the brakes to slow down, veered into the right hand lane, then back into the left hand lane, then crossed into the far left hand lane to turn left at the next set of lights, then when the driver saw me approaching behind him jackrabbited into the middle lane in front of another vehicle then floored it across the lights. I got the license plate number, either CRV 107 or CVR 107, and it looked like a silver or grey Windstar type minivan. I decided the driver was probably unfit to drive, so I stopped at the police station to file an accident report. The commissionaire said, before I even asked to come in, "you'll have to park your bike outside." I was slightly surprised at that, as there'd never been an issue with me bringing it in before, but I wasn't about to argue, so I asked, "ok, where's the bike parking?" The commissionaire replied that there was no bike parking, so I asked her where I could park it if there was no bike parking. She then said I could leave it in the lobby, where there was nothing to lock it against. I asked her what I could lock it against, and she said "well, you'll have to bring it in, but we can't be responsible for any damage to it" - this seemed a rather odd statement, as I wouldn't expect them to be responsible for damage unless they caused it anyway.

I then proceeded to file an accident report with the same commissionaire, and she seemed extremely confused by the whole thing. My comment that the driver seemed to be impaired was discounted as "well, you probably couldn't tell that anyway." She also seemed to think I was travelling northbound on Mumford, which is interesting as (on Google Maps, at least) it appears to be an east-west road. I finally gave her the license plate and description, noting that it was one of two plates, and I was given a photocopied piece of paper with an incident number scribbled on it. I came home to find a message, which went something like this:

"Hello, this is Halifax Plice department calling regarding incident number xxxxx-xx, I checked the plate number you gave and it does not match the vehicle's description, unless you can give me more information regarding this... incident we can't do anything else."

So I'm going to be calling tomorrow and asking to talk to the person dealing with the incident to see just how badly screwed up it is...

Distance logged: 14.232km
Time: 35:12
Average speed: 24.3km/hr
Max speed: 62 km/hr
Temperature: 6C, cloudy
Cumulative distance: 6692.556km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.39
Monthly distance: 534.216km
Monthly cost per km: $0.16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home