Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ride for Saturday, 20 January

No ride yesterday as the weather was too warm and windy, with the rain and snow mix making the roads a slick mess that I really didn't want to be out in, so I worked from home writing up a report instead.

Rode downtown to the Farmer's Market to do the shopping for the week. Ran into (almost literally) the muppets of the day pretty soon. Riding along the fire trail I could see a couple wandering along taking up the whole trail with two yappy little dogs running around them (Yorkshire Terriers, I think, but they'd been dressed up with some "clothing"). As I came up behind them I slowed down and rang my bell a couple of times, and the two dogs came racing to my wheel with the muppets walking ahead, still oblivious. I gave my horn a couple of blasts to scare the dogs away, and the female muppet whirled around and we had the following conversation:

FM: "Hey! What was that for! You shouldn't be scaring people like that!"
Me: "Your dogs were running loose and were going to run under my wheel. They're required to be on a leash on this trail."
FM: "No they're not! You shouldn't be racing on this path! It's not for you people!"
Me: "If you read that sign straight in front of you it states quite clearly that dogs must be on a leash."
FM: "Oh! Well! Where's there a sign saying that you're allowed to ride a bike on here?"
Me: "On the www.trails.gov.ns.ca web site this is listed as a shared use trail with bicycle use permitted." (If I'd have been a bit sharper I would have asked where there was a sign allowing her to walk on the trail).
FM: "You shouldn't be racing on this trail! It's not for you people!"

At this point I could see that there was no point wasting any more of my life on this muppet and rode on. Rather predictably, the yappy little dogs tried to attack my tyre again. This time I didn't bother getting out of there way and just carried on riding. Fortunately (or perhaps not) the yappy little dogs at least had the sense to get out of the way, although female muppet behind me yelled something unintelligible.

Otherwise an uneventful ride, although rather windy on the way back - headwinds most of the way.

Distance logged: 22.610km
Time: 81:28
Average speed: 16.7km/hr
Max speed: 55.8 km/hr
Temperature: -3C, sunny, windy
Cumulative distance: 442.266km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.22
Monthly distance: 442.266km
Monthly cost per km: $0.22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home