Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ride home for Thursday, 21 February

Went to the butcher's on the way home and I was amused to see the massive lineup of cars waiting to fill up at the gas station before the regulated price changes tomorrow. I'm sure the 50 cents or so these people saved was lost while sitting there idling burning gas and wearing out the engine. I'm sure it would be interesting to figure out how much money people saved in terms of their time, giving what I suspect would be a somewhat low figure per hour...

Distance logged: 13.355km
Time: 51:16
Average speed: 15.6km/hr
Max speed: 38.5 km/hr
Temperature: -7C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 1107.829km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.11
Monthly distance: 471.507km
Monthly cost per km: $0

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarasota Cycler here-
I have finally grasped the concept that it isn't worth driving halfway across town to fill up at a gas station that is 5 cents (or less). My tank is approximately 12 gallons. That is only a 60 cents savings, and that 60 cents is worth it to me for the time and enery and gas I save by filling up at the station near my place of work (which often happens to have cheaper prices, but not always). I am a much happier person when I drive my car now as I'm not always scouting out each gas station seeing who has the cheapest gas. And for the amount that I actually have to fill my tank, the extra money I have the potential to spend is about a buck each month. Way less than a large double double from Tim's.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:20:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Exactly!

And 60 cents of gas will get you... Not very far down the road, I expect ;-)

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home