Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ride into work for Thursday, 29 May

After a dry spell, I had another muppet encounter this morning. I was heading along Dutch Village Road approaching Bayers road and signalled left to turn into the left-hand lane (since right is right turn only). Behind me I heard a car accelerate up behind me then brake hard and beep their horn. As I stopped at the traffic light the driver went past on the left and yelled something out, the only part of which I caught was "for on a bicycle". Quite how she expected me to hear her as she appeared to continue shouting as she turned left I really don't know...

Left early so I got to ride around a bit before heading into work.

Distance logged: 11.809km
Time: 31:45
Average speed: 22.3km/hr
Max speed: 64.0 km/hr
Temperature: 8C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 2950.403km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.1
Monthly distance: 535.494km
Monthly cost per km: $0.22

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarasota Cycler here. I live in a different city during the summers for work and have been commuting on my bike, 12+ miles round trip with big hills no matter which way you are going (but at least I always get a downhill). I am just catching up on your posts (I've been travelling too) and this one brought up a question I had last week- how does one get into a left hand lane on a bike when one is by law supposed to be on the right hand side of the road? I usually just do my best to get over without getting killed, but sometimes I have to stop and wait, or I've even resorted to using the crosswalks. I have this situation once each way on my trip to work.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:47:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

The law is usually something along the lines of "bicycles must stay as far to the right as is practicable"; if you are turning left then it is only practicable to be in the left hand lane. The way I do it (assuming a two lane road) is to signal left and move into the centre of the right-hand lane and continue signalling until there's a break in traffic and I can switch lanes - pretty much the same as a car would do, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with using a crosswalk, though - I use one daily as part of a shortcut to avoid a busy road.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home