Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ride for Saturday, 16 August

Late start after a late night. Set off wearing full rain gear as it was raining pretty hard when I set off, naturally after 5 minutes of riding it eased off, and stopped after 10. By around 15 minutes in I was dribbling sweat, and when I got to the bank I took off my rain jacket. After going round the market it started to drizzle so I figured I'd hit Idealbikes to camp out for a while (plus my horn had come loose and needed tightening with an extra-small cross-head screwdriver). As I came in through the door I was met with the ominous words "oh, here's Steve, he'll be able to help you!"; Mike was talking to a German bike tourist who was trying to figure out how to get back to the airport. The bike map drew a blank (I'll have to remember to drop Hanita an email to get her to mark this info on the bike map), and no other bike shop nor MEC were able to help. I took her down to MEC to look for Walton Watt's "Nova Scotia by bicycle" but it looks to be sadly out of print. We found a back roads map of Nova Scotia where I was able to point out possible routes, she had been told that the road around the airport was fenced all the way around - not entirely correct, it links up with Aerotech Drive, which goes on to the airport. I told her that last I knew, the last two exits to the airport allowed bikes on as it was the only route available without going miles out of her way, and if she was stopped on there by the police just to play the dumb tourist card and they would most probably just load her bike in their car and drive her off the road, since it would be the quickest way to resolve the problem. Hopefully she made it OK!

I headed back to Ideal after that and drank a coffee and ate some chocolate for breakfast while I waited for the rain to stop. After it eased off to a light drizzle I decided to risk it and headed out sans rain pants and rain jacket. Needless to say after 4 minutes the heavens opened on me and continued most of the way home...

Distance logged: 24.224km
Time: 66:21
Average speed: 21.9km/hr
Max speed: 46.5 km/hr
Temperature: 21C, rain
Cumulative distance: 4640.621km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.18
Monthly distance: 385.770km
Monthly cost per km: $0.94

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home