Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Ride home for Tuesday, 05 July

I got the road bike back with a new cyclocross wheel. It's appreciably heavier than the old one; it's got triple butted spokes, and washers on every nipple, and there's a definite feeling of solidity to the wheel. Roger said he built it up to be a really strong wheel, and it shows. He warned me that it'll take a few days to bed in, and it will go out of true as it does so, so I'll take it in for a free truing; I noticed it drifted out a bit while I was riding and rubbing the brake pads, I fixed that when I got home by *cough* letting out the brake cable a bit. Best of all, Dave (the owner) decided it was partially a warranty repair anyway, so there was no labour charged - I slipped Roger $5 anyway, since he did such a good job on it. The only problem I have now is a ticking noise coming from the bottom bracket. It's a cartridge bracket so I think I'll ride it till it's worn out, then just get another one.

My mountain bike should be ready tomorrow - Roger reckoned $40 or so for a sealed cartridge bottom bracket to replace my current cup and cone bottom bracket. He said that usually a sealed cartridge lasts for 2-5 years, but given the mileage and style of riding I do (ie, winter riding) it would probably be closer to 2.

Now, the interesting trick is going to be figuring out how to get both bikes from downtown back home...

Distance logged: 12.869km
Time: 39:09
Average speed: 19.8km/hr
Max speed: 99.9km/hr
Temperature: 24C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 3091.793km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home