Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ride home for Tuesday, 18 October

No ride home yesterday as I was on site till really late and took up the client's offer of a ride home. My wife drove me into my on-site this morning, then I walked across Halifax to the office this afternoon when I was done.

Almost hit a dog on the fire trail; it was about 20 metres behind its owner, who was not watching it, and the dog zipped across the trail in front of me. As best as I can recall, here is the conversation we had after I slammed on my brakes and skidded off to one side to avoid the dog:

Me: "Hey, lady, you're supposed to keep your dog on a leash, did you not see all the signs stating the by-law?"
Gormless Dog Lady: "This is a walking trail! It's not for riding bikes on! You shouldn't be riding bikes on here scaring people like that!"
Me: "No, this is a multi-use trail, as listed on the government's trails site."
GDL: "You bikers ought to be ashamed of yourselves! Every time one of you passes my poor dog you slam on your brakes because you aren't in control of your bikes!"
Me: "Well, if every bike rider has to slam on their brakes perhaps your dog shouldn't be running wild and should be on a leash?"
GDL: "He's not running wild! He's with me!"
Me: "No, he's not, he's running wild out of control behind you. There's clearly marked signs on this trail that you are legally required to have your dog on a leash at all times, does that law not apply to you?"
GDL: Salutes me, saying "yes sir!"
Me: "Whatever. Smarten up, lady. Next time you might find a biker that won't bother stopping for your dog."

She said something else but I was riding off at that point and didn't really feel like wasting any more of my life talking to her (although I just realised I wasted 5 minutes of my life typing all this up). I think next time I'll use my horn to "warn" the dog out of the way. Perhaps some dog repellent spray might be an idea, too...

Distance logged: 14.422km
Time: 42:16
Average speed: 20.5km/hr
Temperature: 11C, cloudy, breezy
Cumulative distance: 5720.724km
Cost per km: $0.21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home