Sunday, January 08, 2006

Maintenance day

After cleaning and swapping out the chains, I decided today would be a good day to repack my front hub, as it was starting to feel a bit rough. I stripped it down and found the green bearing grease had turned into a milky brown/green goop, which explained the roughness. After cleaning out the hub completely I filled up the raceways with grease, replaced the bearings, and put everything back together. After putting the wheel back on, I found three bearings rolling about on the floor. After swearing for the best part of a minute, I took a closer look and saw they looked quite a bit smaller than I recalled the bearings in the wheel being. However, three bearings potentially missing out out of the hub meant I had to disassemble the whole thing all over again, and check. Naturally, the bearings weren't from the front hub. I'm not sure where they're from, I think perhaps they just materialised out of thin air to piss me off.

I also retuned my rear derailleur as it's come off shifting into first a few times. The jockey wheels are almost completely worn, so they're not keeping the chain completely straight and it's rubbing against the derailleur housing in first gear. I think this week is going to be a good week to take the bike into Idealbikes and get a new derailleur and crank set...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home