Monday, March 27, 2006

Ride home for Monday, 27 March

Went into MEC at lunchtime and picked up a couple of slick tyres, and a new bell to replace the one that got eaten away by salt. My wife wants to start riding her bike to work when the weather gets nice, but she was complaining last year the vibration hurt her wrists. I suspect the semi-slick tyres were too rough, so my plan is to give her the 1.95" 26" tyres off my mountain bike, which should be able to absorb most of the bumps on the road as well as giving a smooth ride, and put the new 1.5" tyres on my mountain bike for a bit more speed.

The ride home was pretty windy, and with my bike having both panniers, the rack trunk, the frame bag, and two tyres cable tied into the rack trunk I was not exactly aerodynamic, so it took a bit of effort - although almost all the traffic gave me an extremely wide berth. Muppet of the day was a jogger who decided to jog on the road; I rang my bell at him to approach, and he swerved to the left in front of me, and when I screeched to a halt he turned around and said, "hey, there's the whole road here you could use, you know!" I noted that I was trying to go around him but he swerved around in front of me, and he responded, "but it's such a nice day, don't be angry!" Not being particularly in the mood to deal with idiots and their non-sequiturs I rode around him and continued on, ending up at the traffic lights crossing Quinpool. He jogged up (on the sidewalk, curiously enough - apparently he didn't feel up to mixing with traffic going at 50km/hr) and started on at me again, "what's your problem, man? There's plenty of room on the road for both of us!" I told him again that I was trying to go around him when he dodged to the left, and his response was again, "it's a nice day! Don't be so angry!" I gave up and stopped listening to him, although he babbled on for a while. I really don't understand joggers who feel the need to run in the road, especially when they're running in the same direction as traffic and can't see what's coming up behind them...

Distance logged: 14.636km
Time: 43:10
Average speed: 20.3km/hr
Max speed: 48.9 km/hr
Temperature: 6C, sunny, windy
Cumulative distance: 1739.385km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.44
Monthly distance: 589.632km
Monthly cost per km: $0.54

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I don't get the rules for joggers. If they run against the traffic - presumably to see the oncoming cars - should they get out of the way when one comes? I never know what to do when I can't pass because of an oncomimg vehicle, yet the jogger doesn't move. If I have to stop, the runner will step off the pavement at the last second.

If they are running with the traffic, I'll hang back until the way is clear - much like I would when overtaking a cyclist.

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:44:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Well, as I understand it (and I'm not a lawyer) joggers are considered pedestrians, and should be on the sidewalk, unless they're crossing the road.

I adjusted my front brake specifically for that. In normal use it's fairly quiet, but the harder I haul on it the more it squeals. For some reason, pedestrians are scared by the sound of squealing brakes. Unfortunately, it means every time the brake pad wears in, I have to readjust!

Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home