Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ride home for Tuesday, 21 March

Roger managed to get my bike ready for me, and I now have a custom extra wide range of gears on the back, and smaller rings on the front; since I was snapping so many spokes going uphill we figured a wider range was better, as the alternative was to start stripping weight off my bike. Since I'm toying with the idea of doing a tour this summer a wider range is not a bad thing anyway. I had the chance to put the new gears to the test on the way home; as I'm studying from home for some certs for the rest of the week I had about a foot of books, my laptop, my clothes for the week, both cellphones and chargers and miscellaneous other gubbins, plus by usually 5lbs or so of bike gear. The gears worked out pretty well, even on the steepest of hills I didn't need to stand on the pedals, although my speed was nothing to write home about. I think I may have to change the big ring, the max speed on there was around 45km/hr - although that was riding into the wind. I'll see next time I go into town what it's like riding at high speed in the big ring at 6th gear.

Distance logged: 14.069km
Time: 44:09
Average speed: 19.1km/hr
Max speed: 46.2 km/hr
Temperature: 3C, breezy, cloudy
Cumulative distance: 1642.041km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.43
Monthly distance: 492.288km
Monthly cost per km: $0.55

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home