Monday, May 22, 2006

Maintenance day

Since today was a holiday, it was raining, and I'm still getting a few twinges from the aftereffects of the antibiotics, I decided to do a bit of work on the Nishiki. The freewheel was rather loud so I flushed it out with oil to see if that would quiet it down. It helped a bit, but it's still noisy, so I figure it must just be noisy as-is. The chain needed changing after 450km of wear (plus whatever the previous owner put on it) so I put on the only chain I had, a KMC 8 speed chain. I'd rather have a beefier 5 speed chain but they don't seem to be particularly available any more. I think it's going to be iffy finding a 6 speed cassette when the time comes for a new one, let alone a 5 speed - all I could find was a 6 speed at Nashbar, and the best I could find at the usual places in Canada was 8 speed...

I realigned the rear brakes while I was at it, and trued out a bump in the wheel. I think a truing stand and spoke tensiometer are going to be the next tools to pick up as I wasn't overly pleased at the truing - two of the spokes still felt a bit loose, even though the rim was fairly true...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home