Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ride for Saturday, 18 November

Went into town to go to the farmer's market and left my bike at the office. When I got back, I found I had a flat rear tyre, and when I took the tyre off, I found three punctures - it looked like someone broke a beer bottle on the road last night and I managed to find the pieces. I went to MEC to pick up more patches and another tube, while I was there I picked up a tyre liner, a front rack, and a wall rack to store bikes over the winter. The MEC Mountain front rack came without any instructions, as seems to be MEC's wont, and neither of the brackets that came with the rack fit my bike. I ended up raiding my junk pile for a bracket that was long enough, then used percussive methodology (aka "whaling on it with a hammer") to bend and straighten it to fit right. It's not perfect, but it should do the trick for what I want it for - catching spray off the front wheels and carrying small loads.

Distance logged: 24.650km
Time: 74:21
Average speed: 19.9km/hr
Max speed: 55.7 km/hr
Temperature: 12C, cloudy
Cumulative distance: 7268.167km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.40
Monthly distance: 401.930km
Monthly cost per km: $0.68

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve! just so you know, my ride is back in working condition - that was a TERRIBLE week without a bike, and I swear i'm never going to try and depend on buses again. once in a while, ok, but to do that every day...horrid.

Roger had a wheel ready for me that's much better than the one I ruined, and it was only about $110. With a bit of extra tune-up work it was all done within an hour, so now i'm really kicking myself for going so long without a bike. lesson learned.

see you friday,
Peter

Sunday, November 19, 2006 12:53:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

Glad to hear it, Peter! I thought I saw your bike (or one that looked like it) yesterday chained to a post and it made me wonder if you were back in action. Sounds like you need a spare bike, anyway!

See you Friday :-)

Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home