Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ride home for Wednesday, 08 November

The dark and the rain seemed to bring the muppets out to play today. First was a taxi driver who parked at the end of Argyle Street on the intersection with Blowers without signalling at all. I watched him get out and wander towards me, and I had to ask him four times before he responded to my question of if he's parked there, and as he wandered off into Subway he muttered, "yeah, can't you see it's parked?"

Second was a teenage muppet who tried to door me, and his excuse was, "well, you can ride around it, can't you, what's the problem?"; I was sorely tempted to double back and deflate his tyres for him ("well, you can pump them up again, can't you, what's the problem?") but I decided I had better things to waste my time on.

Third was a muppet in a minivan going down Roslyn Road (a spot I've had trouble with before). I'd been following another cyclist for a while waiting for a safe moment to overtake, and when the minivan pulled over (without indicating, of course) I decided to make my move. I was somewhat surprised when the minivan pulled out in front of me to do a 3 point turn - as was the driver of the car coming towards me. I suspect the muppet in the minivan only saw me and the other cyclist and decided that he had plenty of time to do his maneouvre - not necessarily correct on a downhill like Roslyn...

The inclement weather is supposed to not only continue, but worsen tomorrow; it'll be interesting to see how the traffic turns out as a result.

Distance logged: 15.722km
Time: 47:39
Average speed: 19.8km/hr
Max speed: 49.2 km/hr
Temperature: 11C, raining
Cumulative distance: 7033.305km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.39
Monthly distance: 167.068km
Monthly cost per km: $0.86

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home