Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ride home for Wednesday, 08 February

Nice sunny ride home, marred only by a couple of muppets, both on the same road. The first muppet was as I was coming down Roslyn Road, and I could see a car at the stop sign on Connolly; I suspected that the driver was going to "ignore" me and zoom across the (two way) stop sign so I hovered on the brakes. The driver didn't start until I was about 15 metres away, and then zoomed out, realised she wasn't going to make it, and stopped in the middle of the road. In the meantime, I'd slammed on the brakes and skidded along and stopped just in front of her. I stared at her and said, "you realise you nearly hit me?"; her response was to look at me and say (I think) "but I'm in a car!" - a true muppet.

The second muppet I encountered was when I was turning right off Roslyn onto Connaught; I approached the junction, signalled right, and heard an SUV zoom up behind me, and then come abreast of me with a right turn signal on. I don't think the driver even saw me, although her passenger (presumably her daughter) was staring out of the window at me with an expression that can only be described as "vacant". The driver then veered off to the right in front of me into the lane I was entering, forcing me to swerve out of the way. Some days I really feel tempted to pick up an attention seeking device to rap on the window of careless drivers to attract their notice.

Distance logged: 14.149km
Time: 44:17
Average speed: 19.2km/hr
Max speed: 41.6 km/hr
Temperature: -4C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 678.871km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.38
Monthly distance: 158.467km
Monthly cost per km: $0.22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home