Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ride home for Wednesday, 19 July

There was some competition for muppet of the day today. First was a car coming in the opposite direction that had a truck loading up in front of him, with a car parked opposite the truck on my side of the road, meaning there was enough room for me to get through on my side of the road (and I had right of way), but the oncoming car would have to go on my side of the road. As I approached the car (and the truck) on my side, he sped up, seeming to think if he went faster his car would get narrower. I hauled on the brakes and stopped on my side of the road, which of course meant the driver didn't have enough space to get through. He stopped and pulled in just behind the truck and stared at me while I slowly started up again from 7th gear and passed him.

Muppet #2 was a tag team; as I was going down Roslyn Road across Connolly, a car on the left decided to pull out from Connolly without looking, which meant the car on the right assumed he could go too. As I was tooling down at around 45 to 50km/hr at that point and about 20 metres from the intersection (at which, again, I had right of way) there was no way I could brake in time so I had to swerve round both cars. It's lucky that bikes are so much more manoeuvrable than cars, otherwise I'd have probably been going over one of the cars.

Distance logged: 14.962km
Time: 40:32
Average speed: 22.1km/hr
Max speed: 60.2 km/hr
Temperature: 26C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 4111.760km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.44
Monthly distance: 490.366km
Monthly cost per km: $0.26

2 Comments:

Blogger kevimkujik said...

i know that intersection well. i don't try to fly through it. many near misses. they're only looking up for cars, if they look at all. still, roslyn beats bayers.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:24:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I've been looking into alternatives... Since I usually go Micmac/Federal/Romans to get back onto Bayers (and miss most of the traffic) I'm a bit limited in choices, though. I think I might buy another Air Zound for my road bike and have done with it...

Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home