Thursday, July 12, 2007

Finally, some good news

I went in to have another X-ray today, and after looking me over the surgeon told me I am healing at a "significantly faster rate than usual", which is a good thing. I asked when I could get on the bike, and he asked me what my plans were originally. I told him about the plan to ride from Port aux Basques to Cornerbrook and he said it would be doable, if I felt up to it. I asked him about riding around downtown Halifax and he said, "oh no, the roads are far too rough"! I now have 3 weeks until I can get back on the bike, which means missing yet another Critical Mass but I may at least be able to attend a minimass at some point...

Went into IdealBikes to look at options for body armour. I was sold on the Mace Short Sleeved Swat Jacket, although there were comments like, "dude, look at the pressure suits, they're kinda overkill but they give you full spinal protection!" Since I usually have a backpack on anyway I have pretty good full spinal protection from that; the pressure suits tacked on an extra $100+ in exchange for what looked like a rather warmer set of armour to wear...

There was also a Peugeot there that was suggested for me. I didn't take my bike down but the general consensus was that it was a writeoff and not worth repairing, unfortunately. I guess I'll be getting yet another new bike.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you are healing well.

I had no idea armour even existed for bicycle applications... After looking a some pics of pressure suits with the spinal stuff, I think you should go that way. Put on a Klingon mask and you'll scare the bejeezus out of any cage that comes close!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:59:00 pm  
Blogger Jerome said...

Me too, I'm glad to hear that you're healing fast than normal, and that you'll be riding soon. Kind of sucks about the bike, but sometimes it's fun to buy new bikes. Although it's totally frustrating to spend all that time and money dialing in your bike and then have to start from scratch again.

May the speedy recovery continue!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:02:00 pm  
Blogger Kayte said...

That's great news Steve!!! Hope you get yourself all healed up so you can do some biking up in Newfoundland with yer dad :D

You get through Fast Food Nation yet?

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:09:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Thanks for the good wishes!

Andrew, the pressure suit just didn't seem worth spending the extra $100, since I get plenty of spinal protection from my backpack anyway. My main area of concern is my shoulders, I figure the armour should (a) support the weight of my backpack so it doesn't cause the fracture to reopen, and (b) protect me in case the same thing happens again! The pressure suits also looked rather warm, whereas the armour looked a lot more breathable; seeing how humid things get around here in the summer next to the ocean the basic armour seemed like a better deal all round.

Jerome, I'd only been riding the bike for a week - I'd got it specifically as a cheap junker bike to ride to work. I hadn't even vaguely started dialling it in!

Kayte, I'm not sure if I'll have enough bikes by the time my dad gets here, unless I ride a hybrid and he rides a road. I'm sure we'll be out on the roads around Halifax, though. I've done Fast Food Nation, I'm now on Bachelor's Home Companion. Great stuff!

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:49:00 pm  
Blogger Scout Seventeen said...

Way to go, Steve! That is some great news! I love the link to the body armor. You need an equally awesome helmet to go with it... perhaps one you could paint an evil sneer onto? And don't forget to mount a bright light on the top so when you turn to look at cars in the night, their interior lights up like Close Encounters!

Enjoy your summer on the bike!

Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:15:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

An awesome helmet, you say, Scout? How about something like this?

Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home