Monday, September 03, 2007

Ride for Monday, 03 September

Went out to Sackville to do some mapping. I started out on the Bedford-Sackville Greenway Connector, where I found this encouraging sign just off the trail:



Fortunately the rest of the trail was much more welcoming:



I suppose it's to be expected since the trail runs alongside a DND rifle range. It's a well-made trail, with lots of work put into it; this bridge had been done quite nicely with some variation done in the staining:



After that, I rode out along the Old Sackville Road and ended up at a trailer park that I suspect was the one used for the first series of Trailer Park Boys - that's the second one I've found! After riding through Sackville and picking up some more points, I headed back, and coming through Bedford I found some single track I thought I'd try out. It ran alongside Paper Mill Lake, with some really nice views:



The single track itself was, to say the least, narrow and rocky:



I managed to get quite a ways in but decided not to risk a large pond that had formed from the recent heavy rains:



So instead I turned back and rode back along the slightly marginal trail:



From there I worked my way back through Bedford and decided to stop off to see how the hovercraft is doing, after getting a few emails asking me if I'd looked at it lately. The builder was going through some exasperating times that husbands the world over who have to ask their wife to grab tools for them will recognise ("that knife on the table there! No! That one you just walked past there!") but he was happy to talk to me about the progress he's making. It's still on schedule to be hovering before the snow flies, but he's reckoning another five years until it's all finished off (although, really, with a project like this there's always another little thing that needs doing...)

It's definitely risen a bit since I was last there, although the photo really doesn't do justice to how nice it looks in reality:



I'll drop by again later in the year to see how things progress.

Distance logged: 54.826km
Time: 185:21
Average speed: 17.7km/hr
Max speed: 59.5 km/hr
Temperature: 20C-22C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 3238.196km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.26
Monthly distance: 107.742km
Monthly cost per km: $0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home