Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ride into work for Thursday, 22 November

Muppet of the day struck as I was riding down Vernon towards Coburg. There was a car waiting to cross coming out of Watt Street on my left, and a car came up signalling left out of Watt on the right. Unfortunately the driver of the car coming out of the right didn't believe in stopping for oncoming traffic and pulled out right in front of me. I leaned on my horn and skidded to a stop. The driver stopped and just sat there and shrugged at me as I pointed at me eyes and suggested she use hers.

Another cyclist caught up with me waiting at Coburg; his comment was "what a fucking moron, eh?" - I was unable to add further to his precise and eloquent summary of the situation.

Distance logged: 11.199km
Time: 33:55
Average speed: 19.8km/hr
Max speed: 56.4 km/hr
Temperature: 1C
Cumulative distance: 4311.878km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.21
Monthly distance: 441.493km
Monthly cost per km: $0.08

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got home for a visit this past week and each time I saw a cyclist I would ask myself "Is that Steve?" eventough I do not know you. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of folks on bikes riding seemingly correctly on the street with helmets. Now I'm back to Sarasota where bikes are on sidewalks, wrong way on streets, helmetless, and the list goes on. Just a different culture around here and it is no wonder that the local biking organization has to work so hard.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:40:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I'm fairly easy to spot - I'm riding around with body armour on and a reflective vest.

I've seen plenty of people riding the wrong way on streets, without helmets, listening to earphones and so on, but this year there does indeed seem to be a reduction in numbers. I'm not sure why, but it's not a bad thing!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:48:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarasota here again-
Does the cold weather discourage people from riding, therefore, one basically deals with the diehard cyclists only in the winter and the helmetless, iPod wearing Darwin-cyclists only come back out in the warmth of spring? (Since when is "spring" warm in NS?)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:55:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I'm not sure... I suspect there may be a contingent that normally wouldn't wear helmets, but wear them in winter just to keep their heads warm. That said, I also see cyclists riding around with toques and scarves on, too, so they don't go completely dormant.

In winter I wear a headband which causes enough roar from the wind that I might as well be wearing headphones. Makes me glad of my mirror...

Spring for me is when the last of the road salt is washed off the road and I can get my decent bikes out. Usually that's somewhere around the end of March or start of April.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home