Sunday, June 01, 2008

Critical mass ride for Friday, 30 May

Nice sunny day for Critical Mass and there was a good turnout - I don't know if anyone counted but it was definitely in the hundreds, possibly approaching a thousand. The ride started with a swing up Queen Street, where I stopped to take photos as quickly as I could as the riders (and rollerblader!) streamed their way past me for almost three minutes!

From Spring Garden we went on to Brunswick to Sackville then back round all the way up Spring Garden on to Summer Street where a traffic jam formed from all the cyclists on the road, and there was much jovial muttering of "this would be so much easier without all these cyclists on the road!". Eventually we got to Vernon, then on to Quinpool to Oxford; I decided to see how long the ride was at this point and rode up to the front, as near as I could tell it was stretched out or about 2km.

After working our way round and ending up at Young Street we went down Agricola past the Cultural Centre and round the Commons for a loop before back to the Italian Cultural Centre for the Bicycle Jamboree (with free valet bike parking!)

Full gallery of pictures here, some of my favourites:

HCC T-Shirt was well represented!
This trailer had a bubble blowing machine on the back.
Lots of smiling people on the ride.
Quite a few children came with their parents.
This guy was kneeling in the back of the trailer the whole ride - I hope his knees were ok!
Drum machine trike.
Bob White, biking supremo.
Nice pair of matching choppers - one pink, one blue.
Spot the happy face


Distance logged: 25.589km
Time: 105:51
Average speed: 14.5km/hr
Max speed: 48.5 km/hr
Temperature: 17C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 3004.176km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.1
Monthly distance: 36.854km
Monthly cost per km: $0

2 Comments:

Blogger Land and Water said...

I'm sorry I missed it. It looked like the biggest group ride I have ever seen in my life.

I was too busy geeking it up that night with a classic lan party. Looked like a huge blast!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:26:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

It was great fun, really amazing to see that many bikes on the road in Halifax!

There's another after-work ride on this Friday at 5:30pm in Victoria Park again, if you can make that. I have a suspicion it won't be quite so big though!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home