Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ride into work for Monday, 02 June

Had another encounter with a muppet this morning, on the Halifax Shopping Centre access Road approaching Bayers. He pulled up next to me straddling the lanes and wound down his window and we had the following conversation:

Muppet: "The rules of the road apply to you too"
Me: "Huh?"
Muppet: "You're supposed to stop at stop signs"
[I'd just rolled through the stop sign at the bottom of the dip as there was no traffic coming]
Me: "There was no traffic coming, I slowed down and checked"
Muppet: "You're supposed to come to a complete stop, the rules of the road apply to you"
Me: "So, you come to a complete stop at every stop sign?"
Muppet: "No, and I've got a ticket for it, so you should stop at the stop sign or you'll get a ticket"
Me: "No, there was no other traffic there or approaching, I checked, and why should I listen to you when you don't follow the rules of the road anyway? Are you a police officer?"
Muppet: "You're supposed to stop at stop signs, it's the law"
Me: "And yet you just admitted you don't stop at stop signs... I'm not seeing your point here, what are you trying to tell me?"
Muppet: "You're supposed to stop at stop signs, it's the rules of the road!"

Unfortunately at this point the lights changed and I had to leave this scintillating conversation...

Distance logged: 10.959km
Time: 28:27
Average speed: 23.1km/hr
Max speed: 58.3 km/hr
Temperature: 9C
Cumulative distance: 3040.209km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.1
Monthly distance: 72.887km
Monthly cost per km: $0

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Dinn said...

I have to tell you...I agree with the "muppet" in this case. Just because he doesn't abide by the rules, why shouldn't you?

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:40:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

I'm not arguing that the muppet was wrong per se (although since that road is a private road, there's a question over whether I could get a ticket there and which laws apply anyway), what I'm arguing is he was completely unqualified to give the advice he did, and was quite willing to make himself a nuisance to other traffic just because he felt the urge to make a point.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:41:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home