Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

As both of my regular readers know, I have been somewhat absent for the past couple of months. This was caused by a particularly severe bout of sciatica; I had some back pain after the camping trip caused by sleeping on the ground, which was massively exaggerated by (of all things) my office chair. My chair had me positioned in just the right (or perhaps wrong) angle to completely tear and inflame the muscles in my lower back, and 3 days after I was back at work I had to take an awful lot of time off and work from home, fueled by ice packs, anti inflammatories and heavy duty painkillers. Oddly enough one of the few things I have been able to do is ride my road bike, as the position it put me in was reasonably comfortable. The hybrid was just about bearable, but the mountain bike was out of the question, so I have now acquired a road bike with a three speed hub, which started off looking like this:



but is now slowly becoming festooned with the required accoutrements for winter biking...

I have finally started back at work, and I have a different chair (and in fact a custom built chair is being ordered for me!) so hopefully I will slowly get back into the swing of things and get back up to speed before too long.

7 Comments:

Blogger cafiend said...

Whew! About time you were back. Nice urban-lookin' ride you got there, too.

Back pain and its related effects are just plain weird. I can make all kinds of things hurt just by how I sit or stand. Fortunately, so far the pain has not been the searing, crippling kind, just naggingly tiring until I stretch properly and pay attention to posture.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:01:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Thanks - it's going in to get fenders and what not tomorrow, I'm waiting on the studded tyres to arrive.

The worst part of the back pain was the fuzziness from the painkillers. The oddest was being unable to stand or sit up, but being fine reclining or leaning forward. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to it being over!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back and blogging!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:43:00 pm  
Blogger Andrew. said...

welcome back steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 7:39:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. No kidding about the rumors.

Focusing on tasks is hard enough without the painkillers. The train of thought is strewn with bridges out and wrecks. My last year has been a loss and all I've got to show for it is pain and debt.

Then I wonder how you have managed.

Its very good and a great relief to see you back.

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:21:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad to see your back. Began to wonder what happen to you bro. I'm sure you heard I'm over at cyclesmith now. pretty good gig.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 4:06:00 am  
Blogger Jamie said...

Great to have you back, Steve. Your input into the world of commuter cycling is always welcome and I hope your back feels better.

Hope your saddle on the bike doesn't rub you the wrong way, pun absolutely intended. ;)

Friday, November 07, 2008 11:45:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home