Sunday, February 13, 2005

Ride home for Friday, 11 Feb

So, I took the bike in on the back of the car and got the bike shop to replace the rear wheel. I picked up the bike at 4:30 and brought it back to the office as a client was having problems. I set off at 6:00 and found I had problems with the brakes rubbing and the right crank knocking against the frame. I took it back to the shop (since it was on the way anyway) and they adjusted the rear brake for me. They also looked at the crank, somewhere along the way the crank actually became bent. The mechanic beat it straight, then I took the bike out for a test ride. Now the pedal on the right was jamming. I took it back, and the mechanic took the pedal apart. It looked like the pedal was shot (no great surprise, a $20 pedal set that I've had for 8 months and put through a fair bit of abuse), when he was beating the crank back in place it (a) knocked some dirt through and (b) jiggled a worn bearing out of place. The mechanic was going to rebuild the pedal, but I figured I may as well pick up another set of pedals at MEC, so I ran down and got another set. He put the pedals on and I headed back home.

Unfortunately, the chain is now slipping in 4th and 5th gears. I'm not sure if it's just the derailleur needs adjusting, since I can't get into low on the front, nor first and sixth on the back (I always need to adjust the derailleur since I'm heavy enough that the frame flexes out under me) or if the rear cassette is shot. I adjusted the derailleur today (Sunday) and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. As a result of this, on the ride home I was basically stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear in middle gear, which made things... interesting.

Distance logged: 14.603km
Time: 50:32
Average speed: 17.4km/hr
Max speed: 99.9km/hr (more like 30)
Temperature: Around freezing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home