Thursday, August 25, 2005

Ride home for Wednesday, 24 August

Picked up some panniers from MEC, they turned out to be quite a bit less than I was expecting; $69 for a set of Z31 panniers, which hold 31 litres - significantly more than the Canadian Tire ones, and I think just the right size to safely hold my laptop!

I also picked up a new tyre to replace the Top Touring 2000 tire that I picked up in July The tire had started to split along the sidewall, just along the rim; research on the net shows I'm not the only one. I bought a Continental Country Ride tire to replace it, since all the other tires at MEC are smaller and designed for speedy road bikes rather than the longer distance, loaded riding that I do. If this one doesn't work out, I'll have to trek round all the bike shops in Halifax to see what's available - I want to get something in the 35-40C range, rather than a skinny 28C or something.

An oddity at MEC, they must have wireless security cameras or something that sent my bike computer haywire, so I had to reset it - the figures are a little off as a result.

Once I got home, I swapped out the tyres and greased (possibly even over-greased) the stem. I also noticed I'd broken a spoke on the rear wheel - I've had a vague feeling that something was a bit off for the past week or so but figured it was just due to whatever was pinging. Interesting that with the new cyclocross rim it's just faintly off, but with the old rim it felt like the wheel was about to disassemble under me!

Distance logged: 11.234km
Time: 33:07
Average speed: 20.4km/hr
Max speed: 48.3km/hr
Temperature: 20C, overcast, rainy
Cumulative distance: 4455.031km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home