Tuesday, January 10, 2006

No ride for Tuesday, 10 January

After being up at 4am to reboot a server, I was rather rudely surprised when I got a call at 8am complaining that the sites were down, after I'd checked them all after the reboot. Through sheer coincidence, the UPS died, so I had to get downtown ASAP. I jumped in the shower and got dressed in record time, then got the wife to drive me in. Where we got stuck in traffic. It took about 45 minutes to get in in the end; if I'd taken my bike and gone the quick route, I'd have been there in around 35 minutes - although I'd also have spent about 15-20 minutes getting ready on top of that. Oh, well...

An interestingpost at Bike Refugee about energy use - as calculated in litres of apple juice (or the calorific count thereof, to be precise). Darren's bike commute is 19km, which works out at 1 litre of apple juice. Darren then works through different activities though the day, increasing the calorific usage, until he gets to "if I decide to drive my car to work"... The total there is surprising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home