Sunday, February 19, 2006

Ride for Sunday, 19 February

Went for a ride to Tantallon. I started out on the trail, but it was just too rutted from ATV tracks and people walking - even with studded tyres I kept bouncing around, and ended up back on the road as soon as I could. As soon as I got back on the road, I hit a headwind, according the Environment Canada the wind was supposed to die off in the afternoon but it never did. It was a pretty constant headwind of about 30-40km/hr, giving a wind chill of -21C to -24C. Shortly before Hubley I jumped back on the trail as it looked fairly clear, I stayed on the trail until getting close to Tantallon. I decided to turn back as I was starting to feel a bit hypothermic, as soon as I did my speed picked up. After going at a fairly steady 15km/hr on the trail (apart from the rutted sections, where I was limited to around 10km/hr) it was quite a difference to be bombing along at 25-30km/hr. When I started hitting ice again I got back on the road, where I went along at a fairly steady clip between 30 and 40km/hr. Once I hit Bayer's Lake I effectively doubled back on myself back into the headwind, and had a really nasty last 5km or so fighting the headwind. I was exhausted by the time I got home, and didn't go up to the Farmer's Market like I was intending to. I was wearing my rain pants as an outer vapour barrier, I wasn't entirely surprised when I took them off to find a shower of frozen sweat fall out.

I wasn't overly inclined to take pictures, but the few I took are uploaded on my website.

Distance logged: 45.510km
Time: 132:001
Average speed: 20.7km/hr
Max speed: 47.6 km/hr
Temperature: -13C to -11C, windy, sunny, windy, clouds, windy, windy, windy
Cumulative distance: 938.615km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.33
Monthly distance: 418.211km
Monthly cost per km: $0.21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home