Monday, February 20, 2006

Ride home for Monday, 20 February

It snowed for most of the afternoon, not much but enough to settle on the roads. Our temp receptionist didn't seem to believe I was going to ride home in the snow until I walked out the door in my bike gear. The ride home was pretty good, the snow was little enough that I had no problems, but cars were dawdling along - I overtook several, including a BMW that seemed to be spinning its wheels in the snow.

The snow eased off around halfway, and going up Central Avenue I had to stop to take off my ski goggles and put my glasses on, it was so warm.

I saw 6 cyclists out there, and saw tracks from several more. It seems like the milder weather brings out the cyclists even in the snow...

Distance logged: 14.357km
Time: 47:02
Average speed: 18.2km/hr
Max speed: 45.9 km/hr
Temperature: -4C, snowing, clearing to sunny
Cumulative distance: 965.696km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.37
Monthly distance: 445.292km
Monthly cost per km: $0.30

4 Comments:

Blogger Kayte said...

Zee goggles - zey do noshing!!

Seriously though, it was *surprisingly* slippery for those of us evil doers rolling home in our stupid cars for jerks. I have studded tyres and I still had a few minor spin outs along the way rounding corners and any time I had to stop/start uphill. Sure was pretty out though once it cleared up.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:26:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Ah, Kayte, you need to get yourself a bike with studded tyres, then you'll have no more worries - or even a trike with studded tyres for added stability! I suppose you could always carry a cup of salt to throw over your car to help with traction, it's what all the cool kids are doing ;->

Another 5cm forecast for tonight, too...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:31:00 pm  
Blogger Kayte said...

If only I didn't work so far away from home - at my pace, biking out to Harrietsfield... I'd probably have to set out around 8pm the night before ;)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:18:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Well, from where you are to Harrietsfield is, what, 30km? That's two hours at an average 15km/hr pace, which isn't too bad - although the hill off the rotary is a bit of a bugger. You could always get one of the kits to convert your bike into an aquabike and pedal across the harbour if you don't mind risking the sewage ;->

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home