Sunday, July 09, 2006

Ride for Friday, 07 July, hit by a car for the third time in a month

Rode into Bedford for another chiro appointment, then headed into town to meet up with a friend up from Boston. I was hit yet again by a car, third time in just over a month (first time was 9th of June). This time I was riding down Brunswick Street in the main line of traffic because the bike lane was being used for parking (which is legal in Nova Scotia, so long as the left hand side of the vehicle is no more than 4.5m from the curb). A car pulled out of the bike lane in front of 1881 Brunswick without looking and I had to haul on the brakes and skid all over to avoid him. After I stopped he was slightly behind me, I looked at him, then he just started driving again, nudged my front wheel, and carried on. He didn't stop, so I took note of the details and went up to the police station (handily, only a block up) and reported a hit and run. My life starts to resemble a bad soap opera more and more every day.

On my way to and from the pub I took some pictures of the spectacularly bad parking. My favaroutes are this one:



and same again, from the front:



I particularly liked the way the drivers were standing in the bike lane smoking...

Distance logged: 45.830km
Time: 135:15
Average speed: 20.3km/hr
Max speed: 55.2 km/hr
Temperature: 25C-20C
Cumulative distance: 3755.251km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.45
Monthly distance: 133.857km
Monthly cost per km: $0

4 Comments:

Blogger Scout Seventeen said...

Holy crap, Steve! I sincerely hope you're all right. Biking in Halifax is starting to sound like eligibility for hazard pay. Be careful out there.

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:46:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

It's pretty bad out there at the moment, maybe once fall and winter get here it'll get better?

Monday, July 10, 2006 11:46:00 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think you need to make an offering to the Bike Gods, bad juju going on.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:10:00 am  
Blogger steve said...

I think I'm going to build myself a mountain bike out of bits at home. At least that way if I get hurt out on the trail, I know it's all my own fault... Maybe that would be enough to please the bike gods?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home