Thursday, March 08, 2007

Ride into work for Thursday, 08 March

Got complimented by a pedestrian after walking my bike across the crosswalk on Connaught - "First time I've seen a guy on a bike walk his bike across that crosswalk!"; presumably the girls have no problem walking their bikes, or don't want a ticket.

Rode down Gottingen past the ruins of the North End Pub that caught fire yesterday; apparently members of a Slayer tribute band lived in the apartment above and lost all their gear. There was an excavating truck parked outside digging through the rubble that caused a massive tailback as far as Young; I just rode my way around it (although I had to swerve around a Clean Nova Scotia car that tried to jump out from a side street and cut me off).

Distance logged: 14.399km
Time: 46:25
Average speed: 18.6km/hr
Max speed: 52 km/hr
Temperature: -18C, sunny
Cumulative distance: 1468.015km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.2
Monthly distance: 183.998km
Monthly cost per km: $0.09

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clean Nova Scotia car cut you off or didn't see you amongst the massive amounts of traffic? I am an avid biker myself, and when I saw you this morning I was very impressed you were biking in the cold. I wasn't thinking - how can I cut him off?
I apologize for that - it's important that people are still looking out for bikes in the winter and hopefully following your lead. Maybe I should ask you what you wear on your face - that's the part that kept me from biking after December across the bridge.

all the best and happy biking!

Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

I am trying to write a story on the Critical Mass bike rides in Halifax for the Dalhousie Gazette. I'm finding it a bit hard to find a source, but I did notice that you're a regular. Would you be able to e-mail me back at gazettearts@gmail.com as soon as you get a moment? I would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind.

AShleigh

Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:25:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Thanks for having the guts to post that, Clean Nova Scotia car driver! If you were the driver I rode around you were coming out of either Macara or Bilby driving a dark green station wagon style car.

I was wearing a balaclava which is too warm to wear at anything above about -12 or so. Above that I wear a skull cap and neck gaiter I picked up from MEC, above -5 I just need a headband to keep my ears warm. I also smear a layer of Vaseline on my cheeks when it's anywhere below about -3, which does the job of cutting out the wind chill.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home