Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ride for Monday, 17 April

Rode from Halifax to Truro to go to a business meeting. It started out cloudy but not too bad, and once I got on highway 2 there was no traffic so I put on my mp3 player. I rode on listening to ACDC, Buzzcocks and God Speed You Black Emperor before stopping for lunch - a sandwich by the side of the road. I continued on, and then as Leonard Cohen started playing, a spoke broke, somewhere outside Lantz. As I changed the spoke, it started to rain, and I continued riding on the wind started getting stronger and stronger. When Leonard Cohen stopped and Morcheeba came on, the rain eased up a bit, but it was still extremely windy. I fought against the winds for the rest of the way, and for long periods of time it seemed like the odometer on my bike was stuck as it just didn't seem to be advancing. I finally hit the junction where I hit highway 2 on the MS150 ride last year, and started recognising where I was. 10km later, I arrived at my colleague's house where I'm staying for the next few days.

Pictures (including two of the river for Knox, but unfortunately no bore) are available for viewing. I didn't take very many as it was so cold that stopping for too long chilled me right through.

Final weight on the wheels was 375lbs. I was mildly surprised that I only broke one spoke - it seems the lower gearing did the trick!

The route map looked like this:



Distance logged: 95.638km
Time: 289:12
Average speed: 19.8km/hr
Max speed: 51.2 km/hr
Temperature: 3C to 6C, cloudy, intermittent rain, windy
Cumulative distance: 2281.161km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.51
Monthly distance: 470.408km
Monthly cost per km: $0.88

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home