Saturday, July 15, 2006

Whipping handlebars for Fritz

I left a comment over at CycleLicious about handlebar whipping that was perhaps less than entirely lucid. For Fritz (and anyone else interested) here's a few pictures. Bear in mind that this is a temporary fix to give me extra padding while my fractured wrist heals, so it's not as tidy as if it were a permanent fix; if it were, I'd probably get some hemp twine with more loops, rather than usinga short length of hookup wire.

First, a look at the handle as a whole:



And a closeup from the top side:



And from the lower side (intentionally overexposed to show the black wire on black tape a bit better):



I didn't use a "real" knot to tie off the end of the wire because the wire started snapping, soI just wrapped it over on itself a few times. As I said, this is a temporary measure, so I wasn't overly concerned about doing a perfect job. The wire does make an impression on the handlebar tape, I'm not sure if the tape will spring back or not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I had seen shellaced bars before and wonder how that was done. Thanks for the link to that.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home